Saturday 3 September 2011

Day 4 - 25 August 2011

WORD PROBLEMS

 Dr Yeap came back with the number tricks. It was interesting to hear different ideas of how they get the students answers.  I realized that Dr Yeap always asked, ‘what other ways, are you sure?’ He made us think discuss with our friends and find out the answers. Teachers are to allow children to experience variations of Maths problems and to explore different ways to solve it and arrive to an answer. He made me laugh when he said do not be a COMMUNIST TEACHER because I had one all my school life!

NAMES TO REMEMBER



I supposed my teachers did not know about Zolten Diene the person who introduced about Maths variation, Jerome Bruner who introduced the CPA approach and Howard Gardner the multi intelligence approach.

For more information, please visit this website http://www.zoltandienes.com/?page_id=226

APPROPRIATE LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION

I learned that it is important to use the appropriate language when giving instructions to the children as the children may have a misconception of what being instructed. For example when using ‘ illegal’ language   in fraction: one out of four instead of one fourth. No wonder my brain got messed-up when it comes in doing fraction because I got all the illegal stuff.

PART WHOLE,CHANGE,COMPARE


In the word problems I learned of 3 different situations: Part whole, change and comparisons. Examples:
  1. There are 37 students in a class. 19 students are present. How many students are absent? –Part whole
  2. Tommy had 37 marbles. He gave Peter 19 marbles. How many marbles left?-Change
  3. I have $37; I have $19 more than you. How much do you have?- Compare
Important Note:In additions and subtractions I learned that units must be the same.

SHAPES
Dr Yeap proved to us that equal may not be identical and doesn’t look equal doesn’t mean not equal. It was an amazing experience trying to create rectangle and   triangle of different shapes to prove the point.



ENJOYABLE LEARNING EXPERIENCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment