Saturday 3 September 2011

Day 3 – 24 August 2011

VIDEO SESSION
 Today session we had a guest lecturer – Ms Peggy Foo. She showed us a video of a teacher conducting a Maths lesson and we are to observe and make comments on these areas:
-          sitting position
-          level of engagement/involvement
-          use of materials/manipulative
-          flow/sequence of lesson
-          communication(teacher-pupil, pupil)
-          classroom management
-          questioning techniques
-          attitudes/disposition of teacher
-          differentiation

OBSERVATION SKILL
After the feedbacks from the students of what went right and what went wrong and the areas that can be improved, she showed us a video of the same teacher conducting a revised Maths lesson after the feedbacks from the observers. We saw a mark improvement in the teacher’s lesson. The video made me to be more observant when I am observing my teacher teaching. I gives me the skills on areas to look for and be more analytical.

LESSON STUDY
This lesson study provided the teacher with constructive feedback for her professional development and growth. I think lesson study is great for teachers to exchange ideas and introduce strategies that can improve ones teaching. The teachers and children would benefit from this professional community collaboration.

NUMBER CONSERVATION
In the third case study, Ms Peggy showed a video of herself teaching number conservation to K1 children. The children were given 5 unifix to construct different structures. No matter what structure they made, the number will be the same.
That's me exploring unifix!

COMMUNICATION AND QUESTION TECHNIQUES

Ms Peggy communicated and engaged the children with questions. The children’s thinking was stretched when she asked them how many ways can be done to make different structure. They were also asked how the structures are the same and how are they different. I thought these questions were difficult for the K1 to understand. Nonetheless, I learned that the teacher plays a very important part in developing children’s learning. To facilitate, to scaffold, to challenge and design task for differentiation of capabilities would give all children the opportunity to learn and progress.
                                                             
VISUALIZATION - TANGRAM



I took a longer time to complete the tangram activity than I thought. I supposed my visualization skill is not that sharp. Some of my friends said that it was easier to form a triangular shape with the tangram than a square which I found otherwise. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the exercise very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment